Frequently asked questions

Here you'll find all the answers to any questions you may have about our products, from sourcing to medical information.

Sourcing

Here at EQUAZEN, we take great pride in our unique Omega-3 with Omega-6 food supplements that use only the best ingredients, from carefully selected suppliers, and which are produced to the highest possible quality and hygiene standards.

Our docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is derived from DHA-rich fish, such as tuna, while our eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is sourced from anchovies, sardines and pilchards. 

Our fish are harvested for only a few weeks of the year, when fish oils are at their highest, and as our suppliers also process the oil, we can ensure their source and quality. All Equazen products are manufactured to the highest standards and our facilities are certified for GMP (Good Manufacturing Process), HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) or relevant ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation).

EQUAZEN products that are rich in DHA, such as EQUAZEN Baby and Mumomega, and the fish oil used in our EQUAZEN family capsules, chews and liquids are refined in Norway at a facility registered with the Norwegian Food Safety Authority and approved in accordance with the FDA’s seafood hygiene regulations. This means that it complies with strict hygiene rules that minimise the risk of contamination at all stages of the manufacturing process.

At EQUAZEN, we are passionate about protecting the environment, particularly our oceans and seas. This is why we are committed to sourcing fish from a select group of suppliers, where fishing only from sustainable stocks is guaranteed, and only harvest for a few weeks of the year.

The high docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) fish oil used in Mumomega and EQUAZEN Baby and the eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) rich fish oil used in our EQUAZEN Family range, are sourced from warmer seas, such as Morocco, and in particular, Peru where the industry is subject to strict and enforced conditions and quotas to ensure sustainability.  Outside the fishing season, and in ‘closed areas’ which protect spawning grounds, there are enforced bans in place to prevent unauthorised fishing.  In these regions, our suppliers have been certified by an independent body as complying with the “Friend of the Sea” criteria for Products from Sustainable Fisheries.

It is also important to note that according to the Global Organisation for EPA and DHA (GOED), only around 6-10 percent of the total 1m tons crude fish oil produced per year, is refined for Omega-3 human consumption. The remaining >90% is used for animal feed.

The figure from the International Fishmeal and Fish Oil Organisation (IFFO) is even smaller, placing human consumption at less than 3%. Out of this, only 0.6% is thought to relate to the European market.

Importantly, any increase in the use of fish oil would not increase the number of fish caught, as the fish oil is a bi-product of the fishmeal industry.